The following contact should be made when any emergency takes place in the residence halls:
Emergency: ext. 1111 from any campus phone or 845-451-1111 from any off-campus/cell phone
Emergency: ext. 2317 from any campus phone or 707-548-2478 from any off-campus/cell phone
The following procedures should be followed in the event of an emergency:
- If students see smoke or fire, and the building's fire alarm has not sounded, students should use the closest fire alarm pull box to activate the alarm as they exit. Fire alarm pull boxes are located in exit paths in hallways and lobbies. Call the campus emergency number above once safely out of the building.
- If the building fire alarm activates, evacuate the building immediately via the nearest safe exit. Close doors and windows if it is safe to do so.
- Fire alarms will produce visual strobe light and sound an audible pulsating horn.
- Don't open the door if the door handle is hot. Instead stay in the room, and seal the bottom of the door with wet towels. Call for help by calling the emergency number above, or by signaling from the window. Do not jump. The fire department will rescue students in rooms.
- If the door handle is not hot, open the door cautiously. Check the hallway for smoke or fire before leaving the room.
- Take a room key in case the hallway becomes impassable. Stay low in smoke; crawl if necessary.
- If it is safe to do so, help notify and evacuate others by yelling "fire alarm" and knocking on doors while working towards the exit.
- A quick, orderly evacuation is the priority. Remain calm and encourage others to remain calm.
- Once outside, move to assigned safe meeting place so all students can be accounted for. Students should notify the residence life staff member if they know of any absences. Stay out of the roadways. Be patient, and stay quiet in case there are announcements.
- Alarm silencing is not an automatic signal to return to the building. Wait until a fire department member, campus safety officer, or residence life staff tells informs students that it is safe to re-enter.
- Remember, when the alarm sounds, get out fast and stay alive!
Building-specific evacuation routes are available at the Safety & Security page of CIA Main Menu.