Double Majors and Concentrations

Occasionally a student wishes to specialize in two discrete areas of study to prepare for an intended career. In such a case, the student may want to apply for a double major or double concentration. The student will complete a single set of core requirements and complete two sets of major and major elective/concentration requirements, one for each major desired. Courses cannot be counted twice to meet different requirements. Students who complete the requirements for a double major receive a single diploma.


  • Students who request a double major or double concentration must do so by the second semester of the junior year so as not to extend the length of the current degree program.
  • The option of earning a double major or concentration is available to matriculated baccalaureate students only and based on availability.
  • A double major/concentration requires the approval of the Center for Career and Academic Advising, which will take into consideration issues such as potential scheduling conflicts and transfer credits prior to approving the program of study.
  • The student must select one major as the primary program of study. This will be the major recognized at the commencement ceremony.
  • If a student wishes to declare a concentration within one of the majors, that too must be approved by the Center for Career and Academic Advising.
  • If the courses for the first concentration also fulfill elective requirements for the degree and/or the major, courses toward a second concentration are in excess of the total required for the degree. Therefore, these courses cannot be considered toward the student's full-time enrollment status and are not eligible for financial aid.

If a student expresses interest in a second area of study that will extend the duration of study beyond the normal program length, the request may be granted with the following stipulations:

  • The current degree (pending successful completion) will be conferred as planned.
  • The student may re-enroll as a non-matriculated student.
    • There is no financial aid eligibility for the non-matriculated status.
    • The student will be reported to any lenders as graduated from the degree program and begin repayment of any loans incurred.
    • The courses required for the additional major or concentration will appear on the student's official transcript with earned grades.
    • The transcript will not note an additional major or concentration since the student is not enrolled in a degree program.

No amended or additional diploma will be issued at the conclusion of the course work.