Apr 03, 2020  
2016–2017 Student Handbook—New York campus 
2016–2017 Student Handbook—New York campus [ARCHIVED]

Campus Services

During your time on the CIA campus, we strive to foster for you a productive and safe environment for learning and personal growth. This section describes the services available to help you get the most out of your educational experience.


The Craig Claiborne Bookstore is located on the first floor of Roth Hall and is open to students, faculty, staff, and visitors on days when classes are in session. You’ll find a list of more than 1,000 titles, many of which are difficult to find elsewhere. The store showcases The Culinary Institute of America’s line of professional cookware and cutlery, The Masters Collection®. Additionally, you will find many familiar names in professional cooking and baking, including J. A. Henckel, Forschner, Ateco, and others.

The bookstore also sells a selection of school supplies, replacement uniforms, health and beauty aids, and a wide range of gift items from sweatshirts and T-shirts to glassware and key chains. The bookstore also features gourmet foods such as fine chocolates, coffee, tea, oils, and vinegars, as well as products by graduates and local merchants. Other services offered are personalized graduation announcements, graduation rings, and elegant diploma frames. Most items in stock are available by mail and web order. The bookstore’s website may be accessed via www.ciachef.bncollege.com. Please inquire about special-order services for books, knives, and tools.

Campus Safety

It’s important to remember campus safety is everyone’s responsibility. If every person who sets foot on the CIA campus observes the policies and procedures described in this section, we’ll continue to enjoy a safe, pleasant educational environment.

Statement of Student Responsibility

The Culinary Institute of America provides a practical learning environment for each of its students. You’ll be required to participate in a variety of hands-on experiences on or off campus, consistent with training in the culinary field. As a CIA student, you assume the risks and responsibilities inherent in the education process.

Observation and application experiences may at times involve dangers and hazards to which professionals in the foodservice industry are exposed, along with the normal risks of functioning in American society. Although the CIA can assume no responsibility for any of these risks, we do attempt to provide a safe environment and to instruct you in safe practices and procedures. However, we are not immune to injury in the course of our daily lives, work, or field of study, so you should conduct yourself with due and reasonable care in all of your actions.

Whether a particular educational experience is a degree requirement or a voluntary extracurricular activity, you must decide whether or not to participate and expose yourself to its possible hazards. If you choose not to participate in a required activity, however, you may fail to satisfy the course or degree requirements. You may wish to discuss the risks noted above with the faculty or staff supervisor of the activity in which you’re participating.

CIA Safe Campus Program

Colleges need to be prepared and ensure timely campus communication in the event of a violent criminal incident. Here at the CIA, we have developed CIA Safe Campus, the result of a task force specifically investigating best practices for serious violent incidents across the nation.

A key component of this program is the CIA Emergency Notification System, established to alert the entire campus community in a timely fashion in case of emergency. A three-tiered format has been implemented:

Campus Siren Alert: Consists of a siren and pre-programmed verbal message system that is broadcast on campus through outdoor speakers on the roof of Hudson Hall and at the Jesuit cemetery, and indoor speakers in the Student Commons and the Marriott Pavilion.

Cable Television Emergency Alert: Once the siren alert is activated, a simultaneous message will be broadcast on all campus televisions.

Mass Notification System: Through this system, designed by Everbridge, Campus Safety will send emergency messages to each registered member of the CIA community via transmission of voice mail, e-mail, and text messages according to predetermined contact lists. Campus Safety will provide you with information to register for this notification system.

In the event of a campus emergency, you will likely receive instructions to “shelter in place” for your safety. Shelter in Place is an important concept that requires you to secure yourself and others in the room you’re occupying when the alarm is sounded.

Each student who lives on campus has the option to register a confidential contact name and phone number to be notified if the student is reported to be missing. The college will use the same organization—Everbridge—that is used to register for our mass notification system. When choosing your “paths” for the notification system, you will notice fields for “Missing Person Name” and “Missing Person Phone.” This is confidential information that will only be used in a missing person investigation.

For more information, visit www.everbridge.com.

Campus Shooting Emergency Procedure

Recent mass shootings at various venues in the U.S. and abroad, including events on college campuses, have highlighted the need to be prepared in the unlikely event of a shooting on campus. Though these events are rare, the CIA does wish to encourage vigilance and education for the campus community. An “Active Shooter” incident requires a much different response than normal emergencies. Should an incident of this nature occur, three options are available to you. The first is to evacuate in the opposite direction of the threat, and proceed to a safe evacuation area. The second is to lock down. This requires securing the area in which you are located if this is structurally possible. Turn off all lights and, if possible, cover all windows and prepare for the third option, in the event it becomes necessary. The third option is to counter the intruder with opposing force or distraction. Remember, if you have the opportunity and means to do so safely, contact 911 and provide relevant information to assist police and first responders. The response you choose must be based on your ability, experience, skill, and mental preparation for this type of incident, as depicted in the training video that is shown to each incoming class of students. Regardless of which response each individual chooses, the college shall communicate the threat by voice, radio, and emergency public address system with instructions to evacuate or shelter in place.

Instead of meeting at the normal gathering places designated for emergencies, the evacuation point in the event of an armed intruder will be a safe area away from the existing threat.

Of course, the best way to protect against an armed intruder is to prevent it from happening at all. Studies of school shooting incidents show that in most cases, the intruders spoke about their plans beforehand. In some cases, students knew of the imminent attack and did not inform the appropriate authorities. We strongly encourage students and staff to follow and practice “See Something, Say Something.” If you are concerned about the behavior of someone on campus, report it to Campus Safety or an appropriate CIA faculty or staff member. This simple act can avert an immense tragedy and allow a proactive response that will provide assistance and help to stop a potential shooter.

A training video, Shots Fired on Campus, is available to current students on CIA Main Menu. We encourage you to view this important training message.


Campus Safety seeks to assist all students and provide a safe environment for the entire campus community. Campus Safety officers are on duty 24 hours a day for your protection and make periodic checks of all buildings and grounds throughout the day. The office is located adjacent to the maintenance garage behind Roth Hall. Closed-circuit cameras are located at various locations on campus. Gatehouses are located at both campus entrances. During late evening hours, one gatehouse is staffed by Campus Safety personnel. The other entrance to campus is closed to vehicular traffic. Students, guests, and visitors are required to provide appropriate ID to be admitted to the campus at night. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Emergency (blue-light) direct-ring phones are located at the main entrances to the residence halls and throughout the campus. These phones can be used to report a criminal or suspicious incident, a fire, any other emergency, or to request an escort by a Campus Safety officer.


Report any accident on campus, no matter how minor, to Campus Safety within 24 hours. Any accident involving injury to any person should be reported to Student Health Services or Campus Safety. See Secondary Student Accident Insurance for information on how to file a claim.

Reporting a Missing Student

To ensure everyone’s safety at the college, you should report a suspected missing student to the Campus Safety, Student Affairs, or Residence Life offices. The Culinary Institute of America has established a Missing Student Notification policy and will initiate the process no later than 24 hours after a student residing in on-campus housing has been determined to be missing.

If you suspect that a student is missing, please immediately contact Campus Safety (ext. 1268), Student Affairs (ext. 1324), or Residence Life (ext. 1260).

Please be considerate to those who care for your safety—take the time to communicate any change in your arrival and/or travel intentions to friends, roommates, and parents. More often than not, the missing person is delayed due to unforeseen circumstances or to a simple change in plans.

Campus Fire Safety

The State of New York has proclaimed September as “College Fire Safety Month.” Each year the Residence Life and Environmental Health and Safety Departments organize a week of interactive activities and educational programs to heighten fire safety awareness on campus. You are encouraged to attend and participate in as many of the programs as possible. The knowledge you gain may save your life.

In accordance with New York State law, all residence halls are equipped with fire alarms, fire extinguishers, smoke and heat detectors, pull boxes, fire doors, fire sprinklers, carbon monoxide detectors, emergency power, exit signs, and building floor plans. Tampering with any of these will result in disciplinary action and, in some cases, criminal prosecution. See Residence Hall Fire Safety  for more information about fire safety and prevention within the residence halls.

Your cooperation is appreciated and is a condition for continued residence. These regulations are subject to revision in order to comply with state and local law.

Fire alarms are installed for the protection of all staff and students. Drills are scheduled in each hall to acquaint you with building evacuation procedures and practice your escape plan. Should an alarm sound, everyone must leave the building immediately. If you do not leave your room immediately when the fire alarm sounds, you will be subject to disciplinary action.

False fire alarms can cause inconvenience and waste productive time, create hazards from unnecessary building evacuation, and create traffic hazards for responding emergency personnel. Excessive false fire alarms can cause building occupants to become complacent and noncompliant with emergency evacuation procedures. Maliciously causing a fire alarm by pulling a fire alarm box is considered among the gravest violations of CIA regulations and may result in arrest. Penalty for conviction is a $1,500 fine and/or one year in jail. If you’re found to be responsible for causing a false alarm, you may also be fined up to $1,000 by the CIA.

A $500 reward will be paid to the person or persons whose information leads to the apprehension and conviction of anyone who intentionally sets a fire or causes a fire alarm to sound when there is no fire. Vandalism of fire detection or fire suppression equipment may render it inoperative, thus creating a serious fire safety hazard.

Fire codes and CIA rules prohibit fires on campus or on property adjacent to the campus for any reason. Barbecue functions and any open burning on campus must be approved by the college in advance. The danger of an open fire is obvious. Your cooperation is expected to prevent fire-related incidents.

Report fire-related crimes, including arson, vandalism to fire safety equipment, and malicious false alarms, to Campus Safety at ext. 1111 or 845-451-1268.

Lost and Found

Turn in any items you find on campus to Campus Safety, located behind Roth Hall. If you lose an item, check with Campus Safety or your residence director to see if anyone has turned it in.

Personal Property and Valuables

The CIA does not carry insurance covering the loss of, theft of, or damage to your personal property. To help prevent losses, follow these guidelines:

  1. Carry only a small amount of money with you at all times; never carry large amounts of cash
  2. Open an account at a local bank.
  3. Be sure your room and lockers are locked.
  4. Inscribe your name on all textbooks, knives, personal equipment, and clothing—and never leave them lying about unattended.


You can prevent theft by avoiding carelessness with your valuables. Report any theft immediately to Campus Safety and to your residence director in writing. Always report any damage to your personal property to your insurance agent. Such damage claims are usually covered under the provisions of parents’ homeowners comprehensive insurance policy.

Unauthorized removal of food, prepared or unprepared, or alcoholic beverages from the kitchens, bakeshops, public restaurants, or designated dining areas of the CIA for personal use will be considered stealing, regardless of who’s removing it.

Milk crates and CIA property such as pots, pans, dishes, silverware, glasses, chairs, etc., are not to be removed from classrooms or laboratories. If any of these items are found in your possession, you’ll be subject to disciplinary action and may lose your housing privileges.

Students may be permitted to take home food items from a kitchen to support their educational experience with an education food pass signed by the appropriate faculty member. These items include, but are not limited to, class projects—such as showpieces and inedible products—and excess kitchen production. Education food passes are available through the instructors, and their signatures are recognized as appropriate authority on the passes. Education food passes may not be issued for alcohol. The education food pass consists of a sticker, bearing the date and signature of the issuing faculty member, affixed to the container of the food item(s). The college reserves the right to inspect parcels and packages leaving the campus premises.  For more information, see the Property Pass Policy .

Unauthorized possession of a master key is classified as “possession of burglar’s tools,” a misdemeanor, and is grounds for expulsion.

Vehicle Registration

Having a car on campus is a privilege, not a right; therefore, students must follow outlined policies regarding parking. To be eligible for parking, you must have valid registration and insurance for the vehicle you own or drive. The college is free from any liability arising from private vehicles parked anywhere on campus.

Parking Permits

Permits are issued by Campus Safety personnel. All vehicles parked on campus should have the authorized CIA decal properly affixed to the left side of the rear bumper. If you don’t display this decal in the designated position, your vehicle may be ticketed, immobilized, or towed. You’ll be fined $50 each time your vehicle appears on campus without an official CIA parking permit properly displayed.

Temporary Parking

Vehicles being used on a temporary basis must be registered with Campus Safety, and a temporary permit will be issued. These permits may be obtained 24 hours a day from Campus Safety.

Handicap/Medical Parking

Students who have state-issued handicap parking permits may park in all designated parking spaces, with the exception of the Anton Parking Garage. Students who have a temporary medical issue that requires special parking permission must provide doctor’s verification to Student Health Services. Student Health Services will provide the student with authorization for a temporary medical parking permit through Campus Safety. Permits are valid for up to 30 days.


If you plan to park a motorcycle on campus, be sure to register it with Campus Safety. You’ll be issued a parking decal and will need to affix it to the motorcycle. Directions to motorcycle parking will be provided.


Student parking is signified by yellow parking spaces. You’re authorized to park in the following designated areas only:

  1. Commuter parking with a valid permit
  2. Residential student parking, north of the athletic fields
  3. Parking in the two-tiered parking area, known as “Top 40”, and the parking spaces along the roadway in front of the Student Commons are available to students only if you are using facilities within the Student Commons and are a commuter. Parking in those spaces at other times—even when you are attending class in the Student Commons—is prohibited. No residential parking is permitted in these areas; no parking is allowed between 12 a.m. and 5:30 a.m.
  4. Convenience parking areas, available near each of the residence halls for quick pickup and drop-off situations of 15 minutes or less. These spaces—printed with green lines for easy identification—are for everyone’s convenience, so the time limit will be strictly enforced. Four-way hazard flashers must be used.
  5. Weekend student parking—you may use the two-tiered parking area near the Student Commons, known as “Top 40”, and the faculty/staff parking lot adjacent to the cemetery from 6 p.m. Friday to 6 p.m. Sunday; towing will begin promptly at 6 p.m. on Sunday.

NOTE: Student parking is not permitted in the Anton Plaza parking garage at any time. This includes the handicapped spaces whether or not you have a state handicap parking permit. Handicap spaces are available near the Campus Safety office.

Vehicles are not allowed:

  • Outside painted spaces in parking lots
  • In areas marked by “No Parking” signs
  • On the grass or other unpaved areas
  • In fire lanes or fire zones
  • In an unauthorized parking lot (i.e., faculty, staff, visitor)
  • In designated recreational areas
  • To park overnight in front of or around the Student Recreation Center (parking for commuters is permitted only while using the Center)
  • To park in a handicap or medical parking permit space without an approved permit

If you commute to school, you must obtain a commuter parking decal for your vehicle. Decals are available at the Campus Safety office, and must be affixed to the left side of the vehicle’s rear bumper. Commuter parking is located along Route 9 in the gated area just south of the north entrance to campus.

Spaces for faculty/staff and visitors are signified by white spaces. Areas marked “Visitors” and “Restaurant Parking” are for the use of CIA guests only. Please do not park in these spaces.

You must notify Campus Safety if you’re planning to leave your vehicle on campus for summer or winter break, or during the Global Cuisines and Cultures trips; this parking privilege is based on availability of spaces. You may not leave your car on campus during your externship semester or during your semester off campus for the bachelor’s degree concentrations.

Areas of up to 75 feet around all buildings are designated as FIRE ZONES. All access roads to campus buildings are FIRE LANES. Parking at residence hall entrances is therefore illegal. Fire lanes and fire zones must be kept clear at all times to ensure maximum safety to all residents. In addition, you may not wash cars or any other vehicles on campus.

Move-in Day Parking

During periods of high traffic volume, especially student move-in days every three weeks, Campus Safety must regulate the number of vehicles near the residence halls to keep fire lanes available. During student move-in, only new students’ vehicles are permitted to enter the residence hall areas. All residents and visitors will be directed to a parking lot. This usually occurs between the hours of noon and 6 p.m. Campus Safety will also regulate traffic and create a one-way roadway during this time, with the entrance to residence hall areas located near the Conrad N. Hilton Library and the exit located near the student lodges.

Disabled Vehicles

If your vehicle becomes disabled and is blocking a fire zone or obstructing traffic, please report this immediately to Campus Safety so remedial action can be taken. If you discover your vehicle’s battery is dead, Campus Safety officers can assist you. They have equipment to jump-start most automobiles. They also have tools to unlock your car in the event you lock your keys inside.

Vehicles left on campus without valid registration plates attached will be removed from campus at the owner’s expense. In the event the vehicle is sold, yet not currently registered, the last owner will be responsible for owed fines or towing expenses.

Traffic and Parking Violations and Fines

If you fail to obey the campus speed limit of 10 miles per hour, disobey a stop sign, drive recklessly, park illegally, or commit some other traffic violation on campus, you will initially receive fines. Further violations will result in immobilization or towing (at your expense and risk) and loss of parking privileges and the privilege to operate a vehicle on campus. Excessive violations may result in suspension from the CIA. All parking violations are $50. The fine for on-campus moving violations, such as speeding, going the wrong way on one-way streets, and going through stop signs is $75. Moving violation tickets will be mailed to the violator. Fines are charged to your student account. If you leave your vehicle in a fire lane while loading or unloading items or passengers, one person should stay in the vehicle so it can be moved in an emergency. Students are responsible for parking and moving violations incurred by their guests.

Parking and Moving Violation Process
Students may not incur more than three tickets total.

First three tickets: $50 or $75 fine each, depending on violation.
Total of four tickets: Vehicle will be immobilized  (“booted”) or towed
$100 fee to remove boot
$100+ fee for towing
Student placed on parking contract by Student Affairs Office

Further violations (total of five tickets):

Immobilization or towing* (see fines above)
Loss of privilege to park and operate a vehicle on campus for 15 weeks

* towing at your expense and risk

Violating suspended parking/driving privileges may result in permanent loss of vehicle privilege and/or suspension from the CIA.

All fine monies collected are deposited to the P.A.R.C. student scholarship to assist students with financial need.


To appeal a parking or moving violation, you must fill out a Parking Appeal form. The forms are available at the Student Affairs office in the Student Commons and at the Campus Safety office. You must make your appeal within three days of receiving a ticket. The ticket must accompany the appeal. Ticket appeals are reviewed by the student solicitor general of the Judiciary Board. The student solicitor general will make a decision and will notify the student. This is the final step in the appeal process.

Tickets issued for the following reasons cannot be appealed:

  1. Parking permit was not properly displayed on vehicle.
  2. Parking in designated fire lane.

Also, fees paid for boot removal or towing cannot be appealed.


From April to October, a bicycle can be a great tool to explore the Hudson Valley, including state/national parks and bike trails, and for navigating the campus. The Office of Student Activities, Recreation, and Athletics provides a bike-share program allowing students to use a bicycle from the Student Recreation Center.

In addition, students may bring personal bikes to campus to use during the spring, summer, and fall seasons. Bikes are not allowed to be kept on the campus grounds during the winter months, December–April, due to snow removal needs.

Any student who brings a personal bike to campus is required to register it with the Office of Residence Life in the Student Commons, room 221.

  • Bikes must be registered within three weeks of bringing them to campus.
  • There is no cost for this registration and only requires the completion of a registration form.
  • Once completed students will receive a registration sticker which must be placed in a location that is easily visible indicating the bike has been registered and is allowed to be parked at any of the various bike racks located throughout the campus.
  • Registering your bike also provides a record of ownership in case your bike is ever stolen.
  • Registered bikes are only permitted to remain on campus while a student is physically attending classes at the New York campus.

Any student who keeps their bike on campus is expected to secure the bike at one of the provided bike racks using their own bike lock. For convenience, bike racks can be found in the following locations:

  • Near K-18
  • Near The Egg/Student Commons
  • At each residence hall (Hudson, Angell, Pick-Herndon, and Rosenthal)
  • At each lodge (Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Juniper, Clove, Ginger, and Cayenne)
  • At each townhouse (Point, Carême, and Escoffier)

The college is not responsible for any bikes stolen or damaged while on campus. Bikes should not be kept in student rooms as they present a fire safety hazard by preventing sufficient egress within the room.

Unregistered bikes or bikes left by a student not physically attending classes at the New York campus will be considered abandoned. At several times throughout the year abandoned bikes will be gathered and stored for a period of three weeks. Any bike not claimed will be donated or discarded as deemed appropriate by the college.


New York State Law prohibits the possession of any rifle, shotgun, or firearm on school grounds. The CIA Weapons Policy  prohibits the possession of any weapon on a CIA campus.

If you have a weapon, including paintball guns, on campus you must immediately surrender the weapon to Campus Safety for safe keeping. A receipt will be issued and Campus Safety will assist you with disposing of any lawfully possessed weapon. 

Advisory Committee on Campus Safety

State education law requires all private colleges to provide an advisory committee on campus safety. The CIA’s committee is titled the Student Safety and Sexual Assault Awareness Committee and is under the supervision of the associate vice president and dean of student affairs and/or designee. The committee meets once in the fall (usually October) and once in the spring (usually April) at a minimum. The chair is currently a member of Student Affairs, the director of campus safety is a permanent member, and the committee must consist of at least six members, with one-half of the membership being female. Membership must also consist of students as well as faculty/staff. A report will be written for the college president at least once each year.


Animals indigenous to the Hudson Valley may unexpectedly appear on campus grounds and outside residence halls, as our facilities are surrounded by their natural habitat.

Various birds, snakes, rodents (including squirrels and groundhogs), and other animals are active on and around the campus grounds. Students should not feed, touch, harass, or approach any wild animal. Residence hall doors should be kept closed to prevent their entry into the facility. Please do not disturb any animals and immediately notify Campus Safety if any animal appears ill or poses any type of threat.


Known to students as Lake Velouté, the pond located in front of Pick/Herndon Hall is for the enjoyment of all. Fishing is limited to “catch and release,” and can only be done on the shores. No boats, rafts, or flotation devices are permitted. Swimming is not allowed. Pollution or littering of Lake Velouté is strictly prohibited. Ice skating (or walking) on ice is not permitted. Year-round (indoor) ice skating is available at the Mid-Hudson Civic Center in Poughkeepsie, NY. Call 845-454-5800 for information.

Railroad Tracks and Cliffs

Due to the obvious danger they present, the cliffs along the edge of the CIA’s property are off limits from sunset to sunrise. These cliffs are owned by CSX, and if you are found in these areas you will be considered trespassing. In addition, the railroad tracks and adjacent areas below, which run along the banks of the Hudson River, are also CSX property and are off limits at all times. Please cooperate and be sure you and your visitors stay clear of these areas.

Wooded Property

The CIA’s wooded property located north of and adjacent to the main campus is open only during daylight hours. All CIA policies are in effect in this area, including but not limited to: no open campfires, no alcohol consumption, no illegal substances, no littering, no hunting, and no off-road motorized vehicles. No person shall injure, destroy, deface, remove, fill in, tamper with, or cut any tree or other plant life.

Environmental Protection

New York State enforces strict laws to protect our environment. Properties along the Hudson River, including The Culinary Institute of America, are under special scrutiny to ensure that the fragile ecosystem of the estuary is not compromised. Fines of up to $10,000 may be imposed by the Department of Environmental Conservation for various violations (e.g., oil/grease spills, recycling infractions, etc.). It is extremely important that you obey the college’s policies and procedures relating to environmental issues to avoid possible liability in an incident.

Soliciting and Canvassing

Soliciting or canvassing on campus by outside firms, businesses, staff, or students acting on behalf of such is strictly prohibited. You may not use bulletin boards, doors, walls, student rooms, or the internal mail system for this purpose.

The CIA prohibits the advertising, marketing, or merchandising of credit cards to students on campus. For more information, see the Credit Card Marketing to Students Policy .

Skating on Campus—Skates or Skateboards

A safe campus environment must be maintained for everyone, and all individuals using modes of transportation are expected to refrain from reckless behavior that endangers individuals and property. If you’re using campus roadways, you assume personal risk and will be held liable for your actions. The following policies apply to all types of skating:

  1. Skating is prohibited during quiet hours (11 p.m.–8 a.m., Sunday–Thursday; 1–9 a.m., Friday–Saturday).
  2. Skating is prohibited inside all campus buildings.
  3. Skating is prohibited on campus roadways on move-in days from noon–5 p.m.
  4. Skating is prohibited on Anton Plaza and Beverage Garden Plaza (formerly Heinz Plaza).
  5. Skating is prohibited on sidewalks.
  6. Skateboards are prohibited inside the dining areas in Roth Hall and the C.E. building.
  7. Skaters are encouraged to wear protective equipment.

If you violate the skating policies, you will be issued a “Notice of Infraction” citation, which may include a warning or successive fine ($25, $50, $75). The privilege of using skateboards or skates may be revoked for repeated offenses. You may appeal a “Notice of Infraction” through the Student Affairs Office, and payment of fines is made to Student Financial and Registration Services. All fines collected go toward CIA student scholarships.

Use of Hoverboards on Campus

A safe campus environment must be maintained for everyone, and all individuals using modes of transportation are expected to refrain from reckless behavior that endangers individuals and property. If you’re using campus roadways, you assume personal risk and will be held liable for your actions. The following policies apply to the use of hoverboards:

  1. Use is prohibited inside all campus buildings.
  2. Use is prohibited on campus roadways on move-in days from noon–5 p.m.
  3. Use is prohibited on Anton Plaza and Beverage Garden Plaza (formerly Heinz Plaza).
  4. Use is prohibited on sidewalks.
  5. Hoverboards are prohibited inside the dining areas in Roth Hall and the J. Willard Marriott Education Center.
  6. Users are encouraged to wear protective equipment.
  7. Hoverboards are not allowed to be stored in the residence halls or charged anywhere on campus.

If you violate the hoverboard policies, you will be issued a “Notice of Infraction” citation, which may include a warning or successive fine ($25, $50, $75). The privilege of using a hoverboard may be revoked for repeated offenses. You may appeal a “Notice of Infraction” through the Student Affairs Office, and payment of fines is made to Student Financial and Registration Services. All fines collected go toward CIA student scholarships.

CIA Safety Report

A Commitment to Your Safety: CIA Campus Safety Report is required by federal law and contains policy statements, crime statistics, and fire statistics for the college.

The policy statements address the CIA’s policies, procedures, and programs concerning safety and security, such as policies for responding to emergency situations and sexual offenses. Statistics—broken out by campus—are included for certain types of crimes that were reported to have occurred on campus, in or on off-campus buildings and property owned or controlled by the CIA, and on public property within or immediately adjacent to campus.

This report is available online on the following pages of the CIA website:


You may also request a hard copy of the report from:

  • William Carey, director—campus safety

Center for Career and Academic Advising

The Center for Career and Academic Advising, located in Roth Hall, room E-255, supports students from their transition to the CIA in their first semester to the launch of their career after graduation. The Career and Academic Advising team is here to assist you with creating academic and career goals, and developing specific plans to achieve them. Each incoming student is assigned a career and academic advisor. Advisors will work with you to develop academic schedules, discuss time-management techniques, and strengthen study skills. In addition, advisors will assist you with creating résumés, cover letters, portfolios, profiles, blogs, and any number of other means of advertising your skills and value to potential employers. Your career and academic advisor will assist you with selecting and preparing for your externship experience. He or she will also be there to help you plan for life after graduation with job search strategies, connecting with employers, or continuing your education.

On-Campus Interviewing

Employers recruit on the CIA campus during career fairs and throughout the year for both externship and full-time job opportunities. Watch for announcements so you can identify employers of interest to you. Interview sign-ups may be done in person in the Center for Career and Academic Advising. To properly prepare for the interview, be sure to research information about the employer and available opportunities.

When you sign up for an interview, you are making a commitment the CIA considers extremely important. You need to provide at least 48 hours notice to cancel an interview appointment, barring extenuating circumstances.

If you don’t appear for a scheduled interview without giving proper notification to your career and academic advisor, it’s considered a serious lack of courtesy and professionalism. A letter will be forwarded to the Student Affairs Office with the strong recommendation that you be assessed three demerits. A second occurrence will result in the loss of your privilege to interview with employers visiting the campus to recruit, with an additional recommendation to the Student Affairs Office that you be assessed three demerits. Failure to appear for two or more scheduled interviews during the interview day of a career fair will result in the loss of your on-campus interview privileges.

Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS)

Personal difficulties and emotional stress can negatively affect your quality of life and ability to succeed. Our role is to help you achieve your professional and personal goals and to address problems that may get in the way of your success. Speaking with a trained, objective professional can increase self-awareness and help you build better coping strategies and resilience.

Students use Counseling and Psychological Services, commonly referenced as CAPS, for a variety of reasons. These include life and career transitions, adjusting to a new environment, anxiety, stress, relationship difficulties, family matters, low self-esteem or confidence, depression, and alcohol or drug use concerns.

For currently enrolled New York students who are not on leave, there is no cost for counseling services on campus.

Confidentiality and trust are very important to the counseling process. As governed by law, the information disclosed in counseling will not be shared with anyone outside of Counseling and Psychological Services. Counseling records are not part of your educational record. The office is staffed by licensed mental health professionals who abide by codes of ethics, and by federal and New York State laws regarding confidentiality.

Individual personal counseling is focused on the particular needs of the student. You and your therapist will discuss your concerns and come up with a plan to address them. We offer what is described as “talk therapy.” This includes solution-focused counseling, such as cognitive-behavioral therapy.

Some concerns require a comprehensive treatment approach, which means that talk therapy will be only one part of your care. We can assist you with referrals to area psychiatrists, nutritionists, or other specialists as needed. For instance, eating disorders should be addressed with therapy, medical monitoring, and nutrition counseling. We will work with your other provider(s) as part of your treatment/support team.

Alcohol and other drug use concerns can be assessed in confidence by CAPS. We can help you plan a broad approach to dealing with substance misuse and related personal matters. As needed, we work in collaboration with community-based treatment resources. Please note that we do not provide court-ordered counseling but can refer you to appropriate providers.

When you are concerned about a friend, you may request a consultation with a counselor. We will discuss your concerns and provide suggestions for managing the situation and referring your friend for appropriate assistance.

Confidential support for sexual assault, relationship violence, stalking, or harassment is provided by CAPS. We provide services for students who have experienced sexual assault, other violent crimes, or harassment. Please note that we are not involved in the investigation or grievance process, and we do not report information to campus officials. As such, we provide a place for students to discuss their concerns without having to file a formal complaint. We can help you understand the resources available to you, explore your options for reporting incidents, and provide emotional support for you. As needed, psychotherapy can help address the emotional aftermath of these incidents.

Educational programs for wellness-related topics (e.g., mindful meditation) are offered by our staff counselors. Also, we offer confidential screening programs for depression, anxiety, and substance abuse.

Crisis intervention, outside of our regular office hours, can be requested through Campus Safety by calling 845-451-1268. You may also contact the Dutchess County Helpline, seven days per week, day or night, at 845-485-9700.

To contact us for an appointment, call 845-905-4241. Therapists typically work by appointment in order to set aside time to address your concerns. For urgent mental health concerns, a same-day consultation can be requested. If you need to reschedule the time or decide not to attend, please contact us as far in advance as possible so another student may have access to an appointment. Students who miss multiple appointments without advance notice may be denied CAPS services and referred off campus instead.

Our offices are open from 8:30 a.m.–5 p.m., Monday–Friday, and we are located in the Student Commons, room 218. Please note that our offices are closed during the winter and summer break periods.

Disability Services

In compliance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Disability Services function of the Learning Strategies Center is dedicated to ensuring that disabled students have equal access to all programs and curricula. 

Financial Aid

Financing your education is a primary concern during your CIA career. The following information will help you understand the eligibility requirements and where to find more information.

Continued Aid Eligibility

Students must reapply for financial aid each school year by filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA is available online at www.fafsa.ed.gov. The CIA’s federal code is 007304. Students selected for verification will be asked to provide additional information to the Student Financial and Registration Services (SFRS) Office such as official IRS transcripts of the federal tax returns. Incoming students will automatically be considered for CIA merit-based aid through the admissions process.

The CIA has a FAFSA priority deadline of March 1. Students who file by this date will be processed first and given priority for institutional and federal campus-based funds. Students also need to make satisfactory academic progress, as determined by the registrar, in order for aid to continue. If make-up course work is required before starting a new semester, financial aid will not be awarded for the new semester until the course work has been completed and the registrar determines the student’s eligibility to start the new semester. There is no federal, state, or CIA aid offered for the costs of making up courses.

Student Eligibility Responsibility

To be eligible for federal or state financial aid, you must not owe repayment on a federal or state grant, or be in default on any guaranteed/federally insured student loan. Also, you must be making satisfactory progress in the academic program (see Satisfactory Academic Progress in the Financial Aid section of the CIA Academic Catalog).

Aid Suspension Due to Drug Conviction
The Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended, suspends aid eligibility for students who have been convicted under federal or state law of the sale or possession of drugs, if the offense occurred during a period of enrollment for which the student was receiving federal student aid. If you have a conviction for this offense, call the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-433-3243 or go to www.fafsa.ed.gov and click “Before Beginning a FAFSA” in the left column, and submit the Student Aid Eligibility Worksheet to find out how this law applies to you.

If you have lost your federal student aid eligibility because of drug conviction, you can regain eligibility if you successfully complete a qualified drug rehabilitation program or pass two unannounced drug tests administered by such a program. You may also regain your eligibility if your conviction is reversed, set aside, or removed from your record so that fewer than two convictions for sale, or three convictions for possession, remain on your record.

Financial Aid Programs

For more information about federal, state, and CIA aid, including award descriptions, please refer to the Financial Aid section of the CIA Academic Catalog.

Grants and Scholarships for Enrolled Students

Throughout the year, many organizations generously offer scholarship assistance to students enrolled at the CIA. More than $2 million was awarded in donated scholarship funds last year.

Criteria and application procedures vary, and are listed on the $HEF site at ciachef.academicworks.com. CIA students are encouraged to check this site often to learn of possible new scholarship opportunities that become available throughout the year.

How Need is Determined

When you file your FAFSA, the U.S. Department of Education determines your expected family contribution (EFC). Need is calculated by subtracting your EFC from the cost of attendance (COA).

Cost of Attendance

In addition to the fixed direct cost listed in the Tuition and Fees section of the Academic Catalog, the CIA is required to estimate a cost of attendance (COA) that includes indirect cost such as personal expenses and transportation. While COA is one of the more confusing aspects of the financial aid process, it gives students and their families an idea of what costs might be incurred beyond tuition and fees so they can plan accordingly. It is important to differentiate between direct and indirect costs, as indirect costs are simply estimates used by the Student Financial and Registration Services (SRFS) Office during the awarding process to determine a student’s financial need, while direct costs are actual amounts that will be charged to the student’s account.

Keep in mind that SFRS can only award an amount of aid equal to or less than your associated cost of attendance budget. If you have questions regarding your budget, would like consultation in planning your budget, or would like a copy of the cost of attendance, please contact SFRS.

Emergency Loan Program

In an emergency, you may borrow up to $150 in an interest-free loan from The Culinary Institute’s Emergency Loan Program. Inquiries should be made to SFRS.

Loan Repayment

All loans taken out to finance your education must be paid in full and in a timely manner. Failure to repay loan(s) will affect your credit rating as well as jeopardize loan programs for all students. Upon graduation, student borrowers will be given information on loan repayment.

Student Health Services

Student Health Services is a great resource for first aid, follow-up care, health education, and support when you’re not feeling well. The services of registered nurses and a physician assistant, under the direction of a medical director, are available to you. The cost of off-campus doctor visits, prescriptions, and vaccines will be your responsibility.

There is a $15 fee for the physician assistant’s consultation which will be charged to your student account. If you have insurance that covers prescriptions, please present your card to Health Services staff at the time of your visit. You should be aware that some out-of-state prescriptions may not be filled in New York State.

The New York State Department of Health and the CIA require documentation of screening for tuberculosis (TB) and documentation of having received two MMR vaccinations. If these requirements are not met, you will need to be screened for TB and/or re-immunized for MMR. The CIA requires vaccination against hepatitis A given in two injections six months apart. Vaccination against hepatitis B and meningitis is recommended but not required. The hepatitis B vaccine is given in three injections over six months. The Menactra vaccine to protect against meningitis is available in one injection. All vaccine fees will be charged to your student account. The entire Vaccination Policy can be found on the CIA Main Menu Policies and Procedures page.

In addition, if you have an illness that the medical director, physician assistant, or Department of Health feels would endanger other students, it may be mandatory that you leave campus.

Campus Safety should be notified of all emergencies. All emergency room visits must be reported to the Health Services Office.

Medical Contract

If you arrive on day one with missing or incomplete medical information, please be reminded that you signed a contract stating that all medical forms, immunizations, and lab tests must be completed by the end of your first week or you will be charged $200. If you do not comply with this contract, the registrar will not add your name to your class roster and you will not be permitted to attend classes until all information is completed and approved by Health Services. You also will be responsible for paying the class makeup fee.

Nurse Response Line

The nurse response line provides nursing medical services through a medical answering system after the Student Health Office closes. Call 845- 451-1261 and a nurse will answer your questions and professionally advise you. If you need an ambulance, call the Safety Office at ext. 1111 or 845-451-1111.

Facial Hair Variance—Health-related

If you are unable to shave facial hair because of a health-related issue, you must submit written documentation from your medical provider to the Health Services Office. Health Services will then issue authorization for the associate vice president—dean of student affairs to issue you a variance. This letter must be carried on your person at all times.

Serious Illness

When a student has a serious disease, it will be treated according to the nature of the illness and in accordance with CIA policy.

Health Insurance

The CIA does not provide medical health insurance to students. You can purchase it through the Health Insurance Exchange in your state of permanent residence if not covered by your parents’, spouse’s, or any other plan. You should determine if your health insurance policy will cover you while attending any one of the CIA campuses.

If you become ill and need medical attention and/or medical tests, the college’s secondary student accident insurance will not provide any coverage. Students taking the Global Cuisines and Cultures trip are encouraged to review insurance options and coverage through the CIA travel partner prior to visiting their destination.

Secondary Student Accident Insurance

Effective July 12, 2016, the CIA carries secondary student accident insurance for physical accidents in the maximum amount of $10,000 for injuries sustained while participating in scheduled, sponsored, or approved activities of the CIA within the U.S. You must first file a claim through your own insurance plan and then file the necessary paperwork with the CIA’s secondary student accident insurance plan.
The following procedures outline the process to submit a claim:

  1. Students can obtain a claim form from Health Services (NY campus) or the student portal (all U.S. campuses).
  2. Students must file a claim through their own insurance plan first.
  3. Students should notify any health care provider of this insurance coverage so that any invoices or explanation of benefits statements can also be sent directly to AIG (the student accident insurance company used by the CIA).
  4. Students must report the claim to AIG within 20 days of the accident by completing and submitting the Personal Accident Claim Form to AIG. Copies of all medical bills submitted to the student’s primary health plan carrier will subsequently need to be submitted to AIG by the student within 90 days of the reported claim. Students must bring or e-mail the completed form to Julie Wolfe, executive assistant to the vice president of finance, (Roth Hall S-342 at the New York campus or j_wolfe@culinary.edu) for review and signature prior to submitting to AIG.
  5. Claims can be submitted using the following methods:


AIG Personal Accident Claims
P.O. Box 25987
Shawnee Mission, KS 66225





Any questions from students or providers regarding benefit coverage can be answered by calling AIG directly at 1-800-551-0824.

  1. The benefit period for a claim is 52 weeks from the date of the accident.

Please note: The Finance Office will not be responsible for completing the student accident form or obtaining copies of medical bills. Students will deal directly with AIG.


See Accidents for information on how to properly report an on-campus accident.

Doctor’s Release

After any accident or illness, which prevents your ability to attend class, you may need to obtain a doctor’s release to return to class at full duty. If you need temporary accommodations, please coordinate with the Learning Strategies Center manager. Any absences you accumulate during this time are subject to the limits outlined in the Policy on Attendance in the CIA Academic Catalog. Please present the doctor’s release to Student Health Services, who will keep it on file for reference should the total number of absences exceed the limits stated in the attendance policy.

On-Campus Employment

Various departments hire student workers for employment. If you’re interested in working on campus, you must submit an employment application through the job board link found on the Student Employment - Hyde Park page of CIA Main Menu or at www2.ciachef.edu/hr. Campus employment is not guaranteed. In order to participate in on campus employment, students must complete a registration process at the Student Employment Office. This includes the W-4 and I-9 forms. The I-9 form, required by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, establishes eligibility to work in the United States, and requires you to present original documentation to verify that eligibility.

Once you start your job, you should talk with your supervisor about the procedures to follow to ensure proper payment, including use and location of time clocks.

You have the option to sign up for direct deposit. This option is available at the time of registering with Student Employment. You must provide bank information, such as the routing and account numbers, at that time. You may also sign up using a paper form provided by the CIA Payroll Office. If you opt not to participate in direct deposit, your paychecks will be delivered to your campus mailbox. If you do not have a mailbox on campus, please see the Payroll Office.

For further information, you may contact the Student Employment Office at 845-451-1364 or studentemployment@culinary.edu.

Student Accounts

As a not-for-profit educational organization, The Culinary Institute of America depends largely on student tuition, room rent, and other fees to maintain daily operations. It is important that you understand the following:

Privacy and Your Student Account

Information about your bill is private, and will not be disclosed to anyone unless you give us permission. Therefore, if you wish us to discuss your finances with family members, please be sure to submit a Consent to Release Form. This form is available in any student services office or can be downloaded from CIA Main Menu under documents on the Student Financial and Registration Services (SFRS) page.

Payment Policy

Tuition and fees (including room and board), less any pending financial aid, must be paid in full 30 days prior to the start of any new semester. This payment is an indication of your preparedness to pay and your financial commitment to the college. College approved payment plans must be in place prior to any required payment due date. Failure to pay may result in deregistration and late payment fees. Payment will be considered late after five days.


  • Miscellaneous charges that may be assessed will be payable within 30 days after they are invoiced.
  • Externship—You must have a zero balance or an approved payment plan in place in order to begin work at your approved site.
  • The junior-year advance deposit of $300 is required to secure your start date and open your online registration.
  • Payment for the Global Cuisines and Cultures elective is billed and payable with the semester prior to your travel date.
  • Graduation—You may not attend graduation ceremonies with an unpaid balance.

Payment Plans

The college offers payment choices to help students afford their college expenses. For more information, refer to the Quick Links on the Student Financial and Registration Services (SFRS) page of CIA Main Menu, or contact Student Financial and Registration Services by e-mail at SFRS@culinary.edu or by calling 845-451-1500.

Financial Clearance and Registration for Classes

You will be registered for classes prior to the start of each semester.  Registration for classes does not guarantee your attendance. If your balance is not paid according to the college’s payment policy your schedule may be put on hold. To remove the financial hold, you must report to SFRS-Express. Special dates, prior to the beginning of each semester, are set aside for this purpose and vary depending on your semester. Reporting dates and times will be e-mailed to you. Those students who have met their financial obligations will have their schedule reinstated and the financial holds will be removed. Failure to resolve your financial holds will result in late fee as described in our payment policy.

Financial Aid and Your Student Account

There are two types of financial aid credits on your student account—a pending credit and an actual credit. A pending credit is money you expect but which has not yet been received by the college. An actual credit is money that has been disbursed to your student account. Both pending and actual credits reduce the balance due on your student account. We cannot disburse financial aid to your student account until after the add/drop period of the semester; as a convenience, we post a pending credit to your account when we bill each new semester.

If there is no expected pending financial aid credit on your account, it is often because you did not apply for financial aid on time. It takes time to process a financial aid application—especially in cases involving alternative educational loans—so make sure you meet all the deadlines. We will not remove any late charges on your student account simply because you did not file for financial aid on time. You can check the status of your financial aid on the CIA Main Menu, the student portal.

How Do I Pay?

Payments to the CIA can be made in any of the following ways:

By Mail or In Person
  • We accept checks, bank checks, and money orders.
  • Make all checks and money orders payable to The Culinary Institute of America. Please include your ID number and start date on all checks. We do not accept post-dated checks.

To pay by mail, send to: Student Financial and Registration Services, The Culinary Institute of America, 1946 Campus Drive, Hyde Park, NY 12538-1499.

In-person payment should be directed to SFRS—Express, Admissions Center, second floor.

Electronic Payments
  • Check CIA Main Menu, the student portal, under your Self-Service Menu and “My Information” tab for the latest links to our electronic payment plan and electronic payment options.

Past Due Balances

Students with balances from prior semesters will not be allowed to register, receive a transcript, or have a degree conferred. Payments will be considered late after five days, and you will be assessed a $150 late fee and a financial hold will be placed on your registration record. You must keep your account current or your enrollment may be terminated. Should you cease to attend for any reason, the date of delinquency for unpaid charges will be based on the last semester attended and will be determined to be the month and year that represents the end of that semester.

What Will Happen If I “Bounce” a Check?

If the bank does not honor your check for any reason (insufficient funds, stop payment, etc.), a fee of $60 will be assessed and automatically charged to your student account. Restitution of the check will be expected immediately.

What If I Have Questions About My Bill?

All billing inquiries or errors should be directed to Student Financial & Registration Services by e-mailing SFRS@culinary.edu. You can access your account on CIA Main Menu at “My Student Account.” All e-mail correspondence to SFRS must be directed from your CIA e-mail address. 

When Can I Get My Refund?

Credit balances will be refunded upon request or automatically refunded within 14 days of the date the credit occurs on the student’s account and are processed by Student Financial & Registration Services at the New York campus. Refund checks will be distributed in Student Financial & Registration Services—Express, Admissions Center, second floor.

All other refunds will be mailed to the last known billing address.

Note that the law requires that any excess PLUS funds be returned to the parent. If a school determines that PLUS funds created a credit balance, the credit balance would have to be given to the parent. The CIA will refund the parent when the PLUS is the only payment on the account and the PLUS disbursement is more than the student’s institutional charges. If you have any questions about the availability of your refund, please contact SFRS.

Withdrawal Refund Policy

The date of determination of a student’s official withdrawal is based on the date the college is provided official notice of withdrawal. Suspension for any reason is considered a withdrawal. The actual date of withdrawal for Return of Title IV or for Unofficial Withdrawal purposes will be based on the last class day or the best available academic information.

Tuition and General Fee Refund

If a student withdraws or is suspended after the semester begins, he or she will be refunded a percentage of Tuition and General Fees, as shown on the following chart:

Withdrawal Date Amount of Refund
1–7 days 100%
8–14 days 85%
15–21 days 50%
After 21 days No Refund

Cancellation and Withdrawal from Travel Programs

Regardless of the reason for cancellation, students who fail to cancel their travel reservation by the published deadlines will be responsible for cancellation costs as set forth by the terms and conditions of the current travel provider.

Residence Hall Fee Refunds

Housing cancellations must be submitted in writing to the Residence Life Office 30 days prior the semester start date. Applicants who fail to cancel 30 days prior to the semester start date or fail to occupy their assigned room will be subject to a $175 cancellation fee.

Students withdrawing or suspended for any reason will be refunded a percentage of their residence hall charges as shown in the following chart:

Room Exit Date Amount of Refund
Prior to the start of the first semester 100%
Day 1–14 of the semester 80%
After day 14 of the semester No Refund

Board Fee Refunds

Board fees are refundable on the same schedule as residence halls.


The CIA will credit to your student account any tuition due as indicated above, and will pay any balance due to you from unliquidated tuition deposits within 30 days of the date the college determined the withdrawal. New, unused equipment may be returned to the college’s Central Issue Department within 20 days of withdrawal for credit to your student account. Uniforms that have been embroidered with your name may not be returned.

Treatment of Title IV Aid when a Student Withdraws

The law specifies how the college must determine the amount of Title IV program assistance that you earn if you withdraw from school. The Title IV programs covered by this law are: Federal Pell Grants, Federal Direct Stafford Loans, PLUS, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (SEOGs), and Federal Perkins Loans.

When you withdraw during your period of enrollment, the amount of Title IV program assistance that you have earned up to that point is determined by a specific formula. If you received (or the college or parent received on your behalf) less assistance than the amount that you earned, you may be able to receive those additional funds as well. If you received more assistance than you earned, the excess funds must be returned by the college and/or you.

The amount of assistance that you have earned is determined on a pro rata basis. For example, if you completed 30% of your period of enrollment, you earn 30% of the assistance you were originally scheduled to receive. Once you have completed more than 60% of the period of enrollment, you earn all the assistance you were scheduled to receive for that period.

If you did not receive all of the funds that you earned, you may be due a post-withdrawal disbursement. If the post-withdrawal disbursement includes loan funds, you may choose to decline the loan funds so that you don’t incur additional debt. The college may automatically use all or a portion of your post-withdrawal disbursement—including loan funds, if you accept them—for tuition fees and room and board charges (as contracted with the college). For other college charges, the college needs your permission to use the post-withdrawal disbursement. If you do not give permission (which some colleges ask for when you enroll), you will be offered the funds. However, it may be in your best interest to allow the college to keep the funds to reduce your debt.

There are some Title IV funds that you were scheduled to receive that you cannot earn once you withdraw because of other eligibility requirements.

For example, if you are a first-time, first-year undergraduate student and you have not completed the first 30 days of your program before you withdraw, you will not earn any Direct Loan funds that you would have received had you remained enrolled past the 30th day.

If you receive (or the college or parent receives on your behalf) excess Title IV program funds that must be returned, the college must return a portion of the excess equal to the lesser of:

1. your institutional charges multiplied by the unearned percentage of your funds, or

2. the entire amount of excess funds.

The college must return this amount even if it wasn’t kept in your Title IV program funds. If the college is not required to return all of the excess funds, you are responsible for returning the remaining amount. If you have any loan funds that must be returned, you (or your parent for a PLUS loan) must repay them in accordance with the terms of the promissory note. That is, you make scheduled payments to the holder of the loan over a period of time.

Any amount of unearned grant funds that you must return is called an overpayment. The amount of a grant overpayment that you must repay is half of the unearned amount. You must make arrangements with the college or the Department of Education to return the unearned grant funds.

The requirements for Title IV program funds when you withdraw are separate from any other refund policy the college has. Therefore, you may still owe funds to the college to cover unpaid institutional charges. The CIA may also charge you for any Title IV program funds that the college was required to return.

If you have questions about Title IV program funds, call the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-4-FEDAID (1-800-433-3243). TTY users may call 1-800-730-8913. Information is also available on “Student Aid on the Web” at www.studentaid.ed.gov.

The college will make available upon request examples of the application of our refund policies.

Fees That May Be Assessed

The following fees could appear on your bill:

Dining Gold Points:  
  100 points $100
  300 points $300
  600 points $580
  900 points $860
Cancellation of Enrollment Agreement $100
ID card replacement $15
Incomplete medical requirement(s) fee $200
Late payment fee $150
Late registration fee $150
Failure or re-registration fee of externship $150
Re-registration practical, costing, or ServSafe exams $60
Part-time and overload–per credit $955
No show–practical and costing exams $150
Library fine for non-returned book $300
Library late fine $2
Lost or unreturned mailbox key $25
Parking fines:  
  fire zone violation $50
  handicap/medical zone violation $50
  moving traffic violation $75
  non-registration $50
  removal of immobilizer (“boot”) $100
  towing by outside company current rate for towing
Physician assistant consultation fee $15
Residence hall fines/fees:  
  cancellation fee $175
  failure to set up checkout appointment or complete checkout procedure $50
  failure to return issued or loaned room key, lost key $50
  illegal appliance fine $25
  lock change $50
  keys not returned $50
  lock-out service fee $10
  pets fine $25
  unauthorized room change $100
Returned check fee $60
Skills Remediation fee $60
Smoking fines:  
  first offense $10
  second offense $25
  third offense $50
Transcript copy $5
Tuition cancellation fee $100
Tuition Payment Plan enrollment fee $60

Technology on Campus

Wireless Network

The CIA has a state-of-the-art network infrastructure that supports a high speed wireless network. Residence halls as well as several other buildings on campus are equipped with an 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac-compliant wireless network.

If you bring your computer to campus…
Recommended Hardware Specifications (minimum):

  • Intel or AMD Dual Core Processor or better
  • 4 GB RAM
  • 100 GB Hard Drive
  • 802.11a/b/g/n/ac-compliant

Software Requirements:

  • Microsoft Windows 7 or newer, or Mac OS X and above. All operating system software should be fully updated with the most current patches.
  • Current antivirus and anti-spyware software installed and up to date
  • Updated wireless adapter drivers if you plan on using the wireless network

Peer-to-Peer File Sharing

Peer-to-peer file sharing is not allowed and is blocked on the CIA network using bandwidth-shaping technology. Under the Higher Education Opportunity Act (H.R. 4137), illegal distribution of copyrighted materials may be subject to criminal and civil penalties. The CIA is legally obligated to assist authorities in identifying individuals who violate copyright law pertaining to peer-to-peer file sharing. It is also in violation of school policy to use technology designed to circumvent the blocking of this activity.

Wireless Network Support

As a first step in troubleshooting wireless network problems, you must bring your device to the Student Help Desk during support hours. Any recommendations the Student Help Desk makes must be followed before any further troubleshooting will be done. In-room visits are made only to verify wireless coverage issues when all other options have been exhausted. All software, hardware, and other configuration changes must be done at the Student Help Desk prior to scheduling an appointment.

Student Help Desk

Support for student-owned computers is offered at the Student Help Desk located at the Hilton Computer Center in Hilton 209. The Student Help Desk is available to assist you in connecting to the wireless network, preventing and removing virus/spyware infection, and answering any other technology-related questions you may have. For more information, see the Student ITS page on CIA Main Menu at Information Technology Services—Hyde Park, located under Campus Resources.

Student Computer Centers

If you do not have your own computer, there are more than 200 PCs in 12 labs available for student use. Software applications installed include MS Office, ESHA Food Processor, Micros POS, and language learning software. Many of these labs are equipped with black-and-white and color laser printers and scanners. Individual tutoring sessions are also available. Computer lab locations include Conrad N. Hilton Lab*, Conrad N. Hilton Library reference area*, St. Andrew’s Lab*, BPS Computer Lab**, Betty Axleroad Language Lab**, Career Services Placement Lab, Library Learning Commons, and residence halls. For more information, visit the Student Computer Labs page on CIA Main Menu, at the Resources tab of the Information Technology Services—Hyde Park page, located under Campus Resources.

*Printing available
**Only available to students in their junior and senior years of study.

Conrad N. Hilton Lab

The Conrad N. Hilton Lab is a full-service and fully staffed computer lab. Services and supplies are paid for using Culinary Cash, and include black and white and color printing, résumé paper, envelopes, transparencies, lamination, faxing (sending and receiving), scanning, and tutoring.

Hilton Lab hours can be found at Navigating the Campus . If you have questions regarding lab hours or services provided, please call the student computer lab specialist at 845-451-1746.

Online Resources

Prior to your arrival to campus, you received login account information for the online resources that are available to you. For any questions about your login information, please contact the Student Help Desk by e-mail at ITHelp@cia.culinary.edu or call 845-451-1698.

CIA Main Menu

CIA Main Menu is the online portal where students can go for all campus-related news, announcements, and information including your grades, class schedule, financial aid, and student account records. Current students can also view and request room changes and submit housing applications to the Residence Life Office. Access to online course registration for students in their junior and senior years is also available on CIA Main Menu. Please note: Internet Explorer is the supported browser for all CIA applications.

Mobile CIA Main Menu

CIA Main Menu is also accessible to current students on tablets and other mobile devices at m.ciamainmenu.culinary.edu. Information available includes grades, schedules, dining information, academic calendars, campus announcements and maps, and links to Culinary Cash and Moodle Rooms. New information continues to be added and will be announced as it becomes available.

CIA Student E-mail Accounts

The CIA-issued e-mail account is the official way in which the faculty and administration communicate with students. This e-mail account allows us to communicate various and often sensitive information in a secure way. It is the student’s responsibility to check their CIA-issued e-mail on a regular basis.

Conrad N. Hilton Library Catalog

You can access the CIA’s library holdings online to find books, DVDs, videos, images, periodicals, and more.

Culinary Course Management System

Moodle is the online learning platform you will use to access your course materials online. Instructors post course guides, recipe manuals, and other supporting material such as PowerPoint presentations, videos, and assignments in Moodle. Access to courses in Moodle is only available to you while you’re currently enrolled.

Culinary Connect

The CIA’s Culinary Connect houses information on thousands of employers and even more approved externship, part-time, and full-time positions available for CIA students and graduates, providing career services for life. Visit Culinary Connect at https://ciachef-csm.symplicity.com.